Lille Grand Palais is one of the first convention centers in the world to have taken on a global approach for minimizing the overall environmental impact of its activities and those of its customers. Over 50% of emissions generated from events (1200 ce in 2007/2008) come from waste, and they have come up with a way for keeping track and reducing this waste.
- To reduce consumption (energy, transport, paper, etc.) and avoid waste
- Opt for lower emission alternatives (public transportation, ultra low emission vehicles, recycled paper, environmental management system with suppliers
- To integrate a social policy for improving their approach on diversity, disabilities, social work, and more.
- The destination
Lille Grand Palais has drawn on existing comparative studies to demonstrate to potential customers that the location of Lille and the ease of access by public transportation makes the it one of the most “carbon care” venues in Europe.
- The building
The venue has energy management systems. For example: low energy lighting, controlled heating and air conditioning), automatic water faucets. The waste is sorted, and 90% of the cleaning products are ecologically friendly.
Lille Grand Palais has developed a “soft mobility” plan in which employees can use one of the five electric bicycles available for their commutes to Lille. All purchases (paper, computers, furniture) are made according to environmental quality criteria. A constant open communication with suppliers is made with the aim to integrate better sustainable development in Lille Grand Palais’s activities. Waste paper/ cardboard, wood, scrap metal are sorted in recycling bins all throughout the building.
The employees at Lille Grand Palais are highly committed and have signed the Lille Grand Palais EcoGESite charter. They have also signed the Diversity charter which ensures the promotion and respect of diversity in its workforce and is committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and to develop an open approach to diversity.
Lille Grand Palais goes further than others and offers a LOW CARBON EVENT to its clients: measured transportation, waste recovery, certified restauration/catering, and calculated emissions.
- Involvement of the workers and teams to have a systematic environmental approach on all parameters of the event offers and services
- Geographical location of Lille
- Competitive advantage
- 15-40% less transportation emissions compared to other European cities