Danone Eaux France (Danone), chose the brand Volvic to launch the first bottle made from organic materials. This action is part of the group’s strategy for eco-design products.
- Reduce / recycle / reuse plastic bottles
- Maintain water quality / consumer health
- Maintain a competitive position for the brand
Since 1995, Volvic has reduced the amount of plastic used for bottles by 30% thanks to innovations: the 5 Liter bottle in 2000, the 8 Liter eco reserve in 2009.
The company uses 100% recycled plastic with PET (polyethylene terephthalate). The bottles collected are ground into flakes, washed / purified and reused for different granular objects such as clothing, soft toys, pens, etc.
From 2008, thanks to a research program and after inspections from a food safety agency, Volvic introduced RPET (recycled PET) to make their 1.5 Liter bottles. The use of 25% RPET can reduce 11% of their carbon footprint.
In 2010, Volvic introduced plastic bottle composed of organic material, molasses from sugar cane, a renewable resource that limits the use of fossil energy (oil), thus creating bioPET (30% organic).
The new bottle (+ bioPET RPET) is 20% organic and 100% recyclable. It is lighter by 12%, and offers the same guaranteed quality of mineral water to the consumer.
- Reinforcing Volvic’s brand image as innovative and aware of environmental problems
- 30% less plastic since 2005
- Reducing the carbon footprint by 35% with the 20% organic bottle